©2022 Greenwich Historical Society | All rights reserved
Join Maggie Dimock, Greenwich Historical Society Curator of Exhibitions and Collections, for an illustrated evening lecture on renowned American Impressionist artist Childe Hassam and his close ties to the village of Cos...
Many of us are learning more about vaccines and their development than we would have expected just a short time ago. The news is filled with promising stories of COVID-19 vaccines that...
“Elmer picked grapes and before Mrs. June left she did 30 glasses of grape jell. Elmer’s heart is full – likewise his belly…” Emma Constant Holley MacRae to her mother, Josephine Holley,...
April 12, 2022
The Greenwich Historical Society had the privilege to be featured in the April 2022 WPKN podcast hosted by David Green of The Cultural Alliance Of Fairfield County. Listen to it right here.
March 18, 2022
Read about the latest special guided tour of the Bush-Holley house via the Greenwich Sentinel.
The Strickland Road Historic District encompasses the area known historically as the Lower Landing, a former maritime center and later home to the Cos Cob art colony. The historic road follows Strickland Brook from the Post Road to Cos Cob Harbor where a tidal dam, built by David Bush in 1763 at the mouth of the brook, created Mill Pond.
The Putnam Hill Historic District joined the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Once the center of the town of Greenwich, the district is named for General Israel Putnam, a Revolutionary War hero who in 1779 evaded pursuing British soldiers by riding from Knapp’s Tavern down the steep hill to Stamford where he alerted the militia.
The Glenville Historic District joined the National Register of Historic Places in 2007. The name “Glenville” (for the area’s valley or glen) first appeared in print, in the name of the Glenville Manufacturing Company, in 1848.