The “New” Greenwich Town Hall aka The “Old” Greenwich High School
Sometime in the late 1960’s, a mischievous student changed the construction date on the marble block flanking the front door of the “Old” Greenwich High School on Field Point Road from 1925 to $19.25. This was a wry commentary on the hot local topic of the day – the $10M projected cost of the new high school on Hillside Road — total eventual cost: $14M.
So, why the move from the Guilbert and Betelle-designed neo-classical building that was hailed in 1926 as “the finest in the northeast’?
Although originally built for 900 students and, in 1934, expanded by a 5-story addition and courtyard, the handsome edifice had become too crowded for its 1,800 sophomore, junior and senior students. So, after a decade of discussion and planning, a new high school was opened in 1970.
Greenwich has for many years had a strong commiment to education, as witnessed by its desire to provide the best facilities possible for its youth. So from the first building to house high school students, the current Board of Education building, aka the Havemeyer building, on Greenwich Avenue, to the first dedicated high school, now called the Town Hall Annex Apartments on Havemeyer Place, to the “New” Town Hall on Field Point Road, to the state-of-the-art Hillside Road complex, we are most fortunate as a community — and grateful!