2023 Annual Meeting, Greenwich Landmarks &
David Ogilvy Preservation
SEPTEMBER 20, 2023
David Ogilvy Preservation Award
Debbie and Russ Reynolds
Debbie and Russ were selected this year by the Landmarks and Awards Committee for their exemplary dedication, support and many years of service to the Greenwich Historical Society and the Town of Greenwich. They have played instrumental roles in the formation of the Stanwich Historic District and Historic Properties of Greenwich through which they endeavor to provide permanent protection to vulnerable properties from our early history.
SEPTEMBER 20, 2023
BELLE HAVEN CLUB
100 Harbor Drive
Reception 5:45 PM
Annual Meeting & Program 6:30 – 8:00 PM
*All gifts and pledges at the Preservation Patron level ($250) and above received by September 5, 2023 will be listed in the event program.
All proceeds support the Greenwich Historical Society’s work to preserve Greenwich History through education, the archives, museum and Landmarks program.
Greenwich Landmarks &
David Ogilvy Preservation Award
2023 Landmarks and Awards Event Committee
List in formation as of 8/22/2023
Presenting Corporate Sponsor
Farrow & Ball
Mary Ann and Lawrence Tucker
Icy and Scott Frantz
Elise and Gregory Green
Barbara and Joseph Havranek
Sharon and Damian Krause
Debbie and Russ Reynolds
Anne Barton and Tom Galvin
Holly and Matt Cassin
Sally and Larry Lawrence
Isabel and Peter Malkin
Michael Kovner and
Jean Doyen de Montaillou
Jane and William Nickerson
Davidde and Ron Strackbein
Barbara and Stephen Bishop
Elizabeth and Frederick Darling
Janice and Charles Gardner
Kyu Han and Heinz Maeusli
Susannah and Jim Heyworth
Heather and John Sargent
Leslie and Stephen Scroggins
Alease and Paul Tallman
Catherine and David Tompkins
Haley and Joseph Elmlinger
Robert E. Harvey
Historic Properties of Greenwich
Debra and Carl Mecky
Deb and Perry Robinson
David Ogilvy Preservation Award: An Introduction
The David F. Ogilvy Preservation Award is the Greenwich Historical Society’s highest individual honor, awarded when merited, for special achievement in recognition of major accomplishments or lifetime work dedicated to the advancement of preservation in Greenwich and beyond. Past awardees are David F. Ogilvy (posthumously 2020) and Deborah and Chuck Royce (2022).
A Tribute and Memorial to David F. Ogilvy
“David, because of his unique position, could have sold our beloved town out a billion times over. I remember him touring prospective buyers through historic homes such as ours and trying to get them to think creatively, explaining how they could meld old with new.
The same with listings. And with land. Always how to preserve – how to keep character and familiar streetscapes. He was like the self appointed “Protector of Greenwich.” Years ago he attempted to win tax abatements for those who would agree not to subdivide their land, but it did not pass. David was a gentle man of integrity, guided by a strong moral compass and his deep love of this town.” — Elise Hillman Green, co-founder, Historic Properties of Greenwich.
David Ogilvy (1942–2020) was the former President and owner of David Ogilvy & Associates, a leading force in Greenwich real estate for over 40 years. An enthusiast for Greenwich’s history and quality of life, he sponsored for many years the Historical Society’s annual Antiquarius Holiday House tours and its Greenwich Landmarks programs to document and plaque significant historic structures in Greenwich. He led the joint initiative with the Historical Society, Land Trust and Sandra Hillman to create a land easement and preservation restriction in 2003 for Stoneybrooke, the first local historic property located outside of an historic district to be permanently protected in Greenwich.
He was a cherished friend and member of the Greenwich Historical Society’s Advisory Council since 2007 and contributed to our “Reimagine the Campus” capital campaign in 2017. He served faithfully as a trustee of the Greenwich Land Trust for ten years beginning in 1998 and as its president from 2002-2003, greatly admired for leading the charge for the “100 Days to Save Treetops” fundraiser. David made significant contributions toward the preservation of Fisher Field in 1999 and the Mueller Preserve in 2012.
He was the first person to receive the Audubon’s Lifetime Conservation Award and was also honored with the Boys and Girls Club National Medallion award and as Rotary Club Citizen of the Year in 2010. Greenwich will forever be grateful for his leadership, enthusiasm and vision that enabled the preservation of so many historic places and open land in Greenwich.
2023 Greenwich Landmarks Presentation
This year, in conjunction with our SPORTS! More Than Just a Game exhibition, the Greenwich Historical Society will recognize local properties and landmarks related to athletics or bearing relevance to sports history.
Julian W. Curtiss House (1907)
Julian Wheeler Curtiss moved with his family from Belle Haven to this Georgian Revival home in 1908 or 1909. They referred to the property as “Oak Farm.” Entrance to the level, five-acre lot is made through elaborate, wrought-iron gates on the east side of Lake Avenue. Oriented to the north, the six-bay facade of the main block of the home focuses on the projecting, pedimented ell containing the main entrance and defined by colossal, corner pilasters resting on paneled pedestals. Directly above the entrance is a tall stair window crowned with round-arched transom showing tracery.
The rear (south) elevation is no less impressive, featuring three pairs of French doors opening onto a full-length terrace, the central pair sheltered by a porch supported at each outer corner by three Tuscan columns.
Mr. Curtiss was an avid sportsman and civic and business leader. He served as President and Chairman of the Board of sporting goods manufacturer A.G. Spalding and Bros. He was a member of the first Yale crew to race Harvard at New London and served as the first president of the Greenwich Y.M.C.A. Among many other local roles, Curtiss served as chairman of the Board of Education, was a member of the RTM, and president of the Greenwich Country Club (where he was an avid golfer).
Mr. Curtiss married Mary Louise Case in 1880 and had two daughters, Mary Louise Curtiss Pease and Jean Beardslee Curtiss Gibbons.
The Greenwich YMCA at 50 East Putnam Avenue, designed by M. L. and H. G. Emery, is one of the town’s most recognizable and prominent buildings, a visible landmark in town since its time of completion in 1916. Its distinctive tower, rounded porch, and impressive two-story Doric porticos grace the corner of East Putnam and Mason and have become an integral part of the streetscape of the northern entry point into the Greenwich business district.
The $100,000 building was built and given to the town by Rebecca Witherell completely furnished in memory of her husband Nathanial Witherell, president of the Consolidated Kansas City Smelting and Refining Company and real estate developer who was instrumental in financing Belle Haven.
While the interiors have been altered over the years and the building has been enlarged and modernized, they still manifest original details, materials and high-quality workmanship including many of the original fireplace mantels, stone details, and low-relief plaster ceilings. Of particular note are the original gym and pool complex, set behind the two wings of the building visible from Mason and East Putnam. The gym still retains its original track suspended from the ceiling and has a wood floor. Below the gym is the YMCA’s original 18 by 60-foot pool with white, green and delft blue glazed tile laid in geometric patterns.
Greenwich is extremely fortunate to have had continual use of this notable community structure for over 100 years. It continues to contribute to the architectural integrity of one of Greenwich’s main thoroughfares and to enhance the social life of the town with low-cost recreational facilities.