Putnam Hill

The Putnam Hill Historic District joined the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Once the center of the town of Greenwich, the district is named for General Israel Putnam, a Revolutionary War hero who in 1779 evaded pursuing British soldiers by riding from Knapp’s Tavern down the steep hill to Stamford where he alerted the militia. General Putnam’s military feats are honored with the naming of Putnam Avenue (original King’s Highway), Putnam Cottage (Knapp’s Tavern), and Putnam Hill Park. His famous ride is depicted on the seal of the Town of Greenwich.

Architecturally significant buildings in the district include the Second Congregational Church (1856), designed by Leopold Eidlitz; Calvert Vaux’s 1861 Tomes-Higgins House (later Christ Church parsonage); and the 1909 Christ Church, by William S. Domenick, featuring Louis Comfort Tiffany stained glass windows. These grand structures are situated amongst stately trees, granite walls, and expansive lawns on one of the few remaining greenswards along Route 1 in Fairfield County.

In the district and listed separately on the National Register, the circa 1700 Putnam Cottage/Knapp’s Tavern was a home, farm, and tavern that has welcomed George Washington and John Adams among other notable visitors.

Read the National Register Historic District Nomination

You may also enjoy…

Delayed Debuts in LA and Greenwich

The Magazine Antiques | 2022

In Connecticut, the Greenwich Historical Society has finally been able to mount Life and Art: The Greenwich Paintings of John Henry Twachtman. The show was meant to go on view last fall, but that plan was scotched thanks to flooding caused by Hurricane Ida. The exhibition examines the artworks created by the American impressionist while living in a farmhouse in Greenwich.

Read More

The Glory of Greenwich

Art and Antiques | November 2022

THROUGH January 22 the Greenwich Historical Society will stage a major exhibition for impressionist John Henry Twachtman featuring his home and surroundings in Greenwich, Connecticut. The famed artist lived in the area from 1890 through 1899 and is considered to be when he painted some of his best-known works. The show, titled “Life and Art: The Greenwich Paintings of John Henry Twachtman”, was curated by Lisa N. Peters, Ph.D., an independent scholar and author on several Twachrman and American art publications.

Read More

Life & Art: The Greenwich Paintings Of John Henry Twachtman

COS COB, CONN. – “I can see how necessary it is to live always in the country – at all seasons of the year.” American Impressionist John Henry Twachtman (1853-1902) shared this certainty with close friend and fellow artist Julian Alden Weir in 1891, a few days after adding acreage to his small farmstead in Greenwich, Conn. Twachtman’s guiding belief in the inspirational power of place and nature shines through the exhibition and catalog titled “Life and Art: The Greenwich Paintings of John Henry Twachtman.” Visitors can take in the intriguing presentation at the Greenwich Historical Society in Cos Cob until January 22.

Read More