Support Us

The Archives Cataloging and Digitization Project

MAKING GREENWICH HISTORY ACCESSIBLE

The Archives Cataloging and Digitization Project

The Greenwich Historical Society’s James Stevenson and Josie Merck Stevenson Library and Archives, under the leadership of curator Christopher Shields, makes our Greenwich history collections accessible to and representative of our entire community and its recorded history. As we approach our 90th Anniversary in 2022, it is essential to complete finding aids for the Library & Archives’ important collection of original documents relating to architecture and land use, local businesses, schools, local and state government, clubs, organizations and local families. This material encompasses 49 distinct collections.

 

1932 Award Roadside Improvement By Group Old Greenwich Garden Club Presented By Fairfield County Planning Association, Inc. [pewter, 7.5" high, A.2019.007, VF4-2]
The estate known as “Belora Villa” on Lake Avenue

Since October 2020, Archivist Leslie Albamonte and Digital Project Assistant Kelsie Dalton have made great strides to process several new collections, with collections now accessible. Finding aids for these collections are searchable from our website at digital.greenwichhistory.org, including over 16,000 images from our real estate and photograph collections. Kelsie and Leslie have created informative and entertaining content featured on our website and social media based on their work with the collections. They have also worked closely with curatorial staff to discover and share items relevant to our exhibitions and educational programs.

The records of the Garden Club of Old Greenwich are documented and described in a new finding aid available through our website. The collection documents the early history of the club and is a vital organizational and visual history of an important Greenwich institution. In addition to processing the collection and writing the finding aid, Leslie has worked closely with Garden Club members in their research for a publication to celebrate the club’s upcoming 100th anniversary.

The estate known as “Belora Villa” on Lake Avenue was the home of Baron and Baroness Jan Carel van Eck. Born in the Netherlands in 1880, he had aristocratic roots. He began work at the Royal Dutch Shell Oil Company and became president of Shell Union Oil Company’s U.S. operations. Oil was vital to the success of the Allied war effort, and the Baron traveled extensively in support of the company during World War II. The real estate brochure was digitized as part of the Edson & Edson Real Estate Collection. It is an example of an item that can be used as an architectural reference but also to tell a broader story of a Greenwich resident.

The Archives Cataloging and Digitization Project is supported by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and a challenge gift from Davidde and Ron Strackbein. To support this project and help fulfill the Strackbein Challenge grant, contact Director of Development Ryan Nuckel at (203) 869-6899.