Close this search box.

National Register of Historic Places

National Register of Historic Places

National Register of Historic Places are historic properties worthy of preservation because of “a quality of significance in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and culture…in districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects that possess location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling and association…with events that contributed to broad patterns of our history, with lives of significant individuals, with distinctive styles of architecture, or with information important to history or prehistory.”

  • Listing on the National Register, which was established in 1966, does not preclude changes to a building or its demolition, but it does encourage preservation. In Connecticut approximately 32,000 such resources in more than 140 towns are listed on the National Register. In Greenwich there are 19 properties listed including houses, churches, bridges, mills, municipal buildings, a lighthouse, railroad stations and a parkway. In addition to individual properties, there are six historic districts and each contains many properties.
  • Some properties on the National Register are given the added status of National Historic Landmark for outstanding cultural or architectural importance. Greenwich has one property with this designation, the Bush-Holley House in Cos Cob, which was awarded this distinction for its association with American Impressionist painting. Restrictions apply.

Private Buildings:

Cos Cob Power Station
Sound Shore Drive, Cos Cob
Built: 1907; Listed: 1990; Demolished: 2000

Samuel Ferris House
E. Putnam Avenue and Cary Street, Riverside
Built: c. 1760; Listed: 1989

French Farm
524 Lake Avenue, Greenwich
Built: 1906-1911; Listed: 1975

Greenwich YMCA
50 East Putnam Avenue, Greenwich
Built: 1916; Listed: 1986

Hawthorne Mill & Depot Building
Listed as New Mill and Depot Building, Hawthorne Woolen Mill
350 Pemberwick Road, Glenville
Built: Mill 1881, Depot 1875; Listed: 1990

Indian Harbor Yacht Club
710 Steamboat Road, Greenwich
Built: 1920; Listed: 2010

Thomas Lyon House
Also known as Lyon Cottage
1 Byram Road at W. Putnam Avenue, Byram
Built: c. 1695; Listed: 1977

Rosemary Hall
Also known as the Japanese School
Junction of Ridgeway and Zaccheus Mead Lane, Greenwich
Built: 1901-1928; Listed: 1998

Sylvanus Selleck Gristmill
124 Old Mill Road
Built: c.1796; Listed: 1990

Josiah Wilcox House
354 Riversville Road
Built: 1838; Listed: 1988

Municipal Buildings

Josiah Wilcox House
354 Riversville Road
Built: 1838; Listed: 1988