Strickland Road

The Strickland Road Historic District encompasses the area known historically as the Lower Landing, a former maritime center and later home to the Cos Cob art colony. The historic road follows Strickland Brook from the Post Road to Cos Cob Harbor where a tidal dam, built by David Bush in 1763 at the mouth of the brook, created Mill Pond.

The district is distinguished by the town’s only National Historic Landmark, Bush-Holley House, a centerpiece of the Greenwich Historical Society’s campus. The district also features well-preserved Colonial homes set close to Strickland Road, stylish Victorian houses with sweeping front lawns, a cluster of early 20th-century Craftsman style bungalows, and a group of post-World War II houses on Mill Pond Court.

The Strickland Road Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The district is architecturally significant as a small, cohesive, residential community distinguished by its architectural variety and excellent state of preservation. It reflects the historical development of the Village of Cos Cob in the Town of Greenwich from 1730 to 1960. 

Read the National Register Historic District Nomination

You may also enjoy…

Director of Development

Founded 90 years ago as an organization devoted to collecting and interpreting the community’s history, Greenwich Historical Society has evolved into a vital and growing

Read More

Delayed Debuts in LA and Greenwich

The Magazine Antiques | 2022

In Connecticut, the Greenwich Historical Society has finally been able to mount Life and Art: The Greenwich Paintings of John Henry Twachtman. The show was meant to go on view last fall, but that plan was scotched thanks to flooding caused by Hurricane Ida. The exhibition examines the artworks created by the American impressionist while living in a farmhouse in Greenwich.

Read More